Huddersfield University

£800k contract to transform listed building for University of Huddersfield

The Yorkshire office of building and civil engineering contractor, Britcon has secured an £800k contract to refurbish a Grade II* listed building for the University of Huddersfield.

The Sir John Ramsden Court building is to be transformed from 12 existing residential flats to provide 6785 sq.ft of office accommodation for the University.

A former canal warehouse and one of Huddersfields oldest buildings dating back to 1774, the site was named after Sir John Ramsden, whose family once owned much of the land around Huddersfield and is located opposite the road from the end of the Huddersfield Broad Canal, which is also known as the Sir John Ramsden Canal.

Britconâs refurbish work is part of the overall redevelopment of the Universities Queensgate Campus. The university, which originally owned the building but sold it for residential use in the 1980s, has since bought it back to include on the overall campus regeneration plans.

Whilst maintaining the existing listed facade, Britcon will remove the internal apartments and install modern, open plan office accommodation over the three floors. This includes structural, mechanical and engineering and finishing works.

Clerks Of Works Inspector Services Ltd, 25 Portland Close, Huddersfield, HD3 4BS
Registered in England & Wales No. 08873037